New Year’s Message from the President
A year full of contradictory moments of success and disappointment in the global context is coming to an end. The war in Ukraine, global warming, energy crisis, vanishing biodiversity require collective and individual efforts to bring out the best in many. The range of ideas produced in the design studios, seminars, conferences, workshops are impressive. We discuss, connect and act – with tenacious commitment.
Just to highlight some of the activities of EAAE from 2022:
- An action to support Ukrainian students was set up together with our member schools.
- This year, the biennial ARCC/EAAE International Conference took place in situ in March in Miami USA, and online in May.
- The Second EAAE Deans’ Summit was in April in Glasgow, hosted by the Mackintosh School of Architecture.
- The revision of the EAAE Charter on Architectural Research was completed.
- We started a new thread to address the issues of education and professional practice in Europe with ACE and ENACA in June. After the follow-up in our Annual Conference in Madrid with a broader participation from UIA, ACE, ACSA, ENACA, FMVDR , the next step will be the joint conference of EAAE/ACE in April 2023 in Brussels.
- Several workshops and a survey have been held on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals at European architecture schools, which concluded by a SDG workshop at TU Delft in November. The next step will be to connect to other agendas at the UIA World Congress in Copenhagen in June 2023.
- The seminal CA²RE+ research project has held conferences in Delft in March, in Glasgow in October and the final online event in June. The unique fundus on design-driven research is accessible on the homepage.
- The Conservation Network has conducted its annual network workshop in autumn at Porto’s School of Architecture addressing Conservation and Sustainable Design.
- The 3rd Biennial VIBRArch Conference in ETSA-UPV focused on the questions of changing priorities in education and research.
- The DigiNEB project partnership in the framework of the New European Bauhaus Initiative has been successfully initiated.
- ACSA, devoted its 2022 Administrator’s Conference to the pressing questions of advancing equity, social justice, and climate action through architectural education and research. EAAE had the floor to present the collaborative research project “Architecture’s Afterlife”.
- The EAAE Annual Conference and General Assembly 2022, hosted by ETSAM, brought together in Madrid our community of educators, researchers, professionals from 87 higher education institutions, 36 countries and 5 international associations.
- On another note: EAAE has strengthened its collaboration with its sponsor VELUX.
It has been a very productive year. The follow-up projects and events are already in the pipeline, please mark these in your calendars:
- The first meeting of the working group of EAAE Education Academy on “Teaching the Teachers” will be on 6 January 2023.
- The YTAA in collaboration with Mies Van der Rohe Foundation and ACE will be soon open for new entries.
- The Third EAAE Deans’ Summit will take place in Brussels hosted by KU Leuven, following on the 1st joint conference EAAE/ACE in March 2023.
- The registration for the 3rd Biennial EAAE/ACSA Teachers Conference, this time held in Reykjavik, hosted by the Iceland University of Arts, will open soon.
- Our Annual Conference and General Assembly 2023 will be hosted by the Politecnico Turin, as usual end of August.
My sincere thanks go to all our partner schools and organizations, to all the members of the Education and Research Academies and of the Conservation Network, to our secretariat at KU Leuven and to my colleagues in the EAAE council.
I wish you all peaceful holidays and a healthy and successful New Year.
Oya Atalay Franck, EAAE President