byJohan De Walsche
What do you teach when you teach architecture? How do you teach, when you teach architecture? What are your intentions for teaching? Why do you teach that way? When you are teaching, do you act as the scholar? The designer? The expert? The master? The coach? The tutor? The role model?
This focus of the Education Academy on pedagogy addresses several topics. Because the field of architectural education in Europe is reflecting such a rich cultural diversity it is also extremely kaleidoscopic. Several investigations in architectural education, in different countries and from different perspectives have been undertaken, but they remain largely disparate. There is a need for a clear overview of the state of affairs concerning current and past research on architectural education practice. The Education Academy want to contribute to mapping these disparate endeavors, and launch new initiatives in the following fields:
- research about architectural education (both diachronic – historical studies – and synchronic – studies of current situation)
- research about the pedagogies in architectural education (The scope, power and limitations of studio education; learning for the future; problem-solving or transformative learning?; …)
- research within architectural education (What insights are we – as inquiring educators – looking for, in the very act of educating? (pedagogical, architectural, …)
- architectural research as education (What kind of research benefits architectural education? What kind of research benefits from being conducted in the educational environment of the architecture school? Can students be included in research? What is the educational capacity of research for reaching the goals of architectural education?
- new conditions for learning as new opportunities for teaching (distant learning, on-line courses, networking, internationalization, …what kind of teaching is needed? What kind of learning takes place in these new conditions? How is this teaching and learning compliant with the intentions which we attribute to architectural education for the future? )