Tenured academic staff, Architecture and design methodology
The Faculty of Design Sciences is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Urbanism
Tenured academic staff in the area of architecture and design methodology
The vacancy for architecture and design methodology seeks to further anchor design-based research within the architecture program, as well as expanding interdisciplinary synergies within and outside of the Faculty of Design Sciences. The candidate for this position is capable of providing a research-oriented framework for traditional and innovative design methods, and utilizing it in research aimed at developing a sustainable building culture, situated within an urban and societally-oriented perspective. An integrated design vision – including technological aspects, design and functionality – and interdisciplinary collaboration are central to this approach. The preferred candidate has an intimate knowledge of teaching architectural and design methodologies and is comfortable with traditional design skills, as well as familiar with research in innovative (digital) design methods, technologies and building processes.
- You will be assigned lecturing duties in the domain of architectural design and design methodology. Your teaching duties will comprise min. 24 ECTS per year, consisting of courses both at the Bachelor’s and Master’s level which focus on design and method.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of architecture and design methodology, with a particular focus on innovations in the process and methods of design and building.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will supervise PhDs.
- You will take up administrative and management responsibilities within the Faculty.
- University service and service to society are also included in your responsibilities.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) that demonstrates your expertise in architectural design and methodology.
- You have several years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- You have experience in acquiring research funding.
- Relevant experience in practice and/or a strong connection with and reputation in the professional field is considered favorably.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably;
- the date of appointment will be 1 February 2019;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.171,55 – € 6.149,03; and for senior lecturer from € 4.776,98 – € 7.504,57;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 15 August 2018.
- Your application should be supplemented with a cover letter, a research plan, and a vision on studio pedagogy and teamwork.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on 1 October 2018.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Lara Schrijver (email@example.com).