PREDOCTORAL POSITION IN ARCHITECTURAL STRUCTURES R1
at UIC Barcelona School of Architecture, Alpha Building - Barcelona Campus
UIC Barcelona currently has around 8,000 students and offers 16-degree programmes, 30 international double degree programmes and a wide range of master’s and postgraduate degrees, as well as continuing education courses in numerous fields of knowledge. Since 1997 we have been teaching students based on academic rigour, a fulfilling university life and enriching life experiences. The UIC Barcelona team consists of professionals who are qualified not only in the field of teaching, but also in research, management, administration, communication, services, and systems. Beyond the professionalism of each individual, at UIC Barcelona you will find a young and dynamic working atmosphere.
Click here for more information about UIC Barcelona.
About your role
Your research will be mainly focused on the analysis and study of cold-formed steel members under the direction of Dr Pedro Casariego.
During this time, you will develop a specific thesis project related to the application of cold-formed steel structural arches to cover roofs. To this end, you will learn about the principles of simulation through the Finite Element Method (FEM) and Yield Line Theory.
You will learn about the behaviour of building structures and the use of different calculation programmes, from easy two-dimensional programmes to 3D analysis with the finite element method using programmes as ANSYS.
You will also:
Develop transversal research about the application of cold-formed steel members as structural architecture design pieces for building envelopes.
Give support to other departments of the school, if necessary, under the coordination of Dr Pedro Casariego.
Teach undergraduate students in the structural branch of the degree, developing academic content and teaching practical sessions.
What you will do
- Develop a PhD research project leading to a doctoral degree in structural analysis focused on cold-formed steel members, Yield Line Theory and finite element analysis.
- Write up your own research on the application of cold-formed steel members to architectural structure design.
- Support the research group and teach.
- Follow up ongoing projects
- Teach Mathematics, Physics, Structures I, Structures II, Structures III and Final Degree Structures at an undergraduate level, developing academic content and teaching practical sessions in this area:
Web page: https://www.uic.es/es/investigacion/grupos-de-investigacion/ingenieria-y-arquitectura/grc-grupo-de-investigacion
- A) People who have met the requirements to access the doctoral programme at the time they are hired can participate in the call (according to what is set out in article 6 of Royal Decree 99/2011).
- B) On the date the contract starts, candidates must be enrolled in a doctoral programme and must not have been awarded any other pre-doctoral contract for a period of more than 12 months.
The ideal candidate
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture
- Is a recent Master’s Degree graduate
- Has knowledge of structures design and want to develop a career in this field.
- Has good or basic knowledge on Maths and Physics.
- Has or would like to have experience of research
- Has published or would like to publish in indexed journals
- Is a highly motivated researcher
- It is a patient person and likes to analyse data.
- Is an excellent team member with good communication skills
- Is fluent in English.
During the selection process the following aspects will be considered in this order:
- Doctoral thesis project or research in relation to requirements
- Publications in high-impact journals.
- Participation in national and international conferences.
- Complementary training in this area or research and teaching.
- Research stays and/or teaching at university institutions.
- Recommendation letters from former employers /lecturers or professors
A selection committee consisting of three PDI staff members will be in charge of evaluating the candidates according to their merits and will decide which candidates will move to the second stage of the selection process. The second stage will consist of a selection interview.
- A full-time predoctoral contract (exclusive dedication) in the Department of Architecture at UIC Barcelona, renewable for 5 years, starting from the date you are hired as a member of our research staff in training.
- The gross annual amount for the contract is the same as that stipulated for predoctoral students in the Ministry or Generalitat de Catalunya, according to the article 7 of Royal Decree 103/2019.
- An exceptional working environment.
- Start date: 1 September 2022
How to apply
Applications must include a single document containing:
- A letter of presentation and motivation (in English) from the candidate
- Full CV including contact details
- Academic Record
- Certification of English level
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation
Send documentation to: email@example.comClick for more details