PREDOCTORAL POSITION IN ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE R1
at UIC Barcelona School of Architecture, Alpha Building - Barcelona Campus
About UIC Barcelona
UIC Barcelona currently has around 8,000 students and offers 16 degree programmes, 30 international double degree programmes and a wide range of master’s and postgraduate degrees, as well as continuing education courses in numerous fields of knowledge. Since 1997 we have been teaching students based on academic rigour, a fulfilling university life and enriching life experiences. The UIC Barcelona team consists of professionals who are qualified not only in the field of teaching, but also in research, management, administration, communication, services, and systems. Beyond the professionalism of each individual, at UIC Barcelona you will find a young and dynamic working atmosphere.
Click here for more information about UIC Barcelona.
About your role
You will be joining the Consolidated Research Group Architectural Heritage Research (PI. Dr Josep Lluis i Ginovart). During this period, you will develop a thesis project about sacred heritage architecture. You will also analyse the results of the laser scan surveys of Tortosa Cathedral as part of your research.
In this position, you will work with a dynamic research group on geometrical and constructive analysis deduced from the data base obtained through terrestrial laser scans. You will also teach undergraduate students in architectural heritage and rehabilitation, developing academic content and teaching practical sessions.
What you will do
- Develop a PHD research project leading to a doctoral degree using point cloud analysis technologies
- Write up your own research for the evaluation of the masonry and its relationship to the liturgy.
- Support the research group and teach.
- Follow up ongoing projects
- Teach Design Studio III, Architectural Theory and Criticism, Building Construction VI, Theory and Practice in the Restoration of Architectural Heritage, at an undergraduate level, developing academic content and teaching practical sessions in this area:
Web page: https://www.uic.es/es/investigacion/grupos-de-investigacion/ingenieria-y-arquitectura/gre-grupo-de-investigacion-en
- A) People who have met the requirements to access the doctoral programme at the time they are hired can participate in the call (according to what is set out in article 6 of Royal Decree 99/2011).
- B) On the date the contract starts, candidates must be enrolled on a doctoral programme and must not have been awarded any other pre-doctoral contract for a period of more than 12 months.
The ideal candidate
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture
- Is a recent Master’s Degree graduate
- Has knowledge of Architectural Heritage
- Has experience of research stays
- Has published in indexed journals
- Is a highly motivated researcher
- Is an excellent team member with good communication skills
- Is fluent in English
During the selection process the following aspects will be considered in this order:
- A) Doctoral thesis project, in relation to requirements
- B) Publications in high-impact journals
- C) Participation in national and international conferences
- D) Complementary training in these areas of research and teaching
- E) Research stays at university institutions
- F) Recommendation letters from former employers /lecturers or professors
A selection committee consisting of three PDI staff members will be in charge of evaluating the candidates according to their merits, and will decide which candidates will move to the second stage of the selection process. The second stage will consist of a selection interview.
- A full-time predoctoral contract (exclusive dedication) in the Department of Architecture at UIC Barcelona, renewable for 5 years, starting from the date you are hired as a member of our research staff in training.
- The gross annual amount for the contract is the same as that stipulated for predoctoral students in the Ministry or Generalitat de Catalunya, according to the article 7 of Royal Decree 103/2019.
- An exceptional working environment.
- Start date: 1 September 2022
How to apply
Applications must include a single document containing:
- A letter of presentation and motivation (in English) from the candidate
- Full CV including contact details
- Academic Record
- Certification of English level
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation
The application deadline is 6th of June 2022