Postdoctoral researcher in Heritage Sciences
at Universiteit Antwerpen, Ontwerpwetenschappen
2000 Antwerpen, BE
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Heritage (https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/arches/) in the Faculty of Design Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral researcher in the field of Heritage Sciences.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects in built heritage and green walls and the activities of associated research groups.
- You will work on microclimatic analysis and modelling in historic environments, focussing on historic buildings, green infrastructure and sustainable approaches with respect to the environment, materials and energy.
- You develop scientific knowledge that has the potential to be translated into strategic insight and/or guidelines for management of the urban historic environment.
- You will collaborate with colleagues within the Built Heritage group of Antwerp Cultural Heritage Sciences (ARCHES) and the University College London Institute for Sustainable Heritage (UCL ISH) Heritage Data Science group and beyond.
- You will publish scientific articles related to scientific advances in research in collaboration with the research team at ARCHES and UCL ISH.
- You will help coordinate project proposals and contribute to attracting external funding the research team at ARCHES and UCL ISH and you will apply for an extended term of your postdoctoral position.
- You will assist in the supervision of students and other team members.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for Heritage studies and Sustainable Heritage.
- You will participate in the provision of academic services: you will represent the research group both internally and externally, help to coordinate service projects, and so on.
- You hold a PhD in a STEM discipline (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- You demonstrate experience or far-reaching interest in the field of cultural heritage.
- You demonstrate experience in data analysis and building simulation software.
- You have authored high-quality international peer-review publications.
- You demonstrate ability for autodidactic learning of different modelling software.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can speak and write fluently in English and also express yourself in Dutch.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 17 months. Within this period, there is the possibility to apply for an extended period as postdoctoral researcher through national and international funding schemes.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the Contract Research Staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, a group insurance, an income protection insurance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 May 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Mutsaard based at Blindestraat 9, 2000 Antwerp in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 20 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘apply’, complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) a motivation letter, (2) your academic CV, (3) a concept note (2-4 pages) for a proposal for an additional postdoctoral fellowship that you will submit during your appointment.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note that we foresee (digital) interviews at the end of March.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact dr. Tim De Kock (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.Click for more details