An academic position in Technological construction design
at Université Catholique de Louvain – U.C.L., LOCI Faculté d'architecture, d'ingénierie arch., d'urbanisme
The Université catholique de Louvain invites applications for a tenure track or tenured full time position in
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. The position is attached to the Faculty of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planningthat offers opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Faculty of Architecture, Architectural engineering and Urbanism is spread among three campuses, each with its specificity : Brussels, the capital city in the center of Belgium and the heart of Europe ; Louvain-la-Neuve, a forty-year-old new town on the periphery of Brussels ; and Tournai, a historic, medium-sized town that participates in a transborder network that includes several French and Belgian municipalities. Such varying conditions can stimulate the development of research in connection with these multiple local realities.
Description of the mission
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in the field of :
• Courses in construction technology in the faculty’s various programmes ;
• Studio teaching, with emphasis on technical aspects;
• Accent on digital and parametric design in the context of design and structures studios.
Although the position is attributed administratively to the Louvain-la-Neuve campus, research and teaching activities may extend to all three campuses of the faculty.
The successful candidate will develop and drive a cutting-edge research program on topics such as (at least two
among the themes mentioned hereafter) :
• (applied) technology of construction and architecture;
• digital tools for technical design in construction and architecture;
• digital fabrication (worksite / prefabrication / design);
• computer aided design, analysis and dynamic management of the built environment : technical and environmental audits, building stock life cycle analysis;
• design of large-scale infrastructure projects with an accent on the technical dimension,
in collaboration with relevant researchers at UCLouvain.
• Doctoral thesis centred on technical and technological aspects of construction;
• Experience in advanced technological design;
Possible additional assets :
• Architectural design studio teaching experience.
Application Deadline: Thursday 15 November 2018 at noon
Starting date: 1st September, 2019
Further information :
Prof. Eric Van Overstraeten, Dean LOCI – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Denis Zastavni, President of the Research Committee LOCI – email@example.com
Science and Technology Sector
Faculty of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning (LOCI) (https://uclouvain.be/fr/facultes/loci)
Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning – Research (LOCI) (https://uclouvain.be/fr/chercher/loci-r/)
Tasks : the applicant will:
– be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
– supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
– be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
– contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
– be available to ensure, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the University and its entities;
– contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Qualifications : the applicant must have
– a PhD degree in architecture or engineering with architectural orientation or any related discipline;
– a significant scientific record with international publications;
– either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside the UCLouvain;
– experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
– the capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
– creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
– the capacities required to undertake high-level academic research:capacity to raise research fundings, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
– have team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, you will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: http://jobs.uclouvain.be/.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. An attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.Click for more details