Tenured academic staff, Building technology and integrated design
at Universiteit Antwerpen, Ontwerpwetenschappen
2000 Antwerpen, Belgium
The Faculty of Design Sciences is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Urbanism
Tenured academic staff in the area of building technology and integrated design
The vacancy for building technology and integrated design seeks to enhance both teaching and research in the domain of building technology and architecture, as well as expanding interdisciplinary synergies within and outside of the Faculty of Design Sciences. It aims at a future-oriented response to the changing role of the architect, who is in need of not only fundamental knowledge within the domain of construction and building technology, but also of integrated knowledge, competences and skills that address technological innovations and design questions in a coherent manner within the design and construction process. An integral understanding of technology and design encompasses understanding the logic of design, technology and a sustainable building culture, and the integration of these aspects in an overall architectural quality.
The candidate for this position is capable of synthesizing these different elements, is aware of societal constraints and the urban context, and is experienced in interdisciplinary research on technological aspects of design. This research is founded on a solid knowledge and understanding of the design and building process in a rapidly transforming profession. Preferably, the candidate will have an established track record in research and teaching in the domain of construction and building technology in relation to the domain of architecture, within a context of future-oriented issues such as sustainability, innovative construction processes and technological innovation.
- You will be assigned lecturing duties in the domain of building technology, construction and integrated design. Your teaching duties will comprise min. 24 ECTS per year, consisting of courses both at the Bachelor’s and Master’s level which focus on building technology.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of architecture and building technology, with a particular focus on the integration of construction and technology in design (including innovative technologies; sustainability and circularity; technical detailing in relation to design processes).
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will supervise PhDs.
- You will take up administrative and management responsibilities within the Faculty.
- University service and service to society are also included in your responsibilities.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD).
- You have several years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- You have experience in acquiring research funding.
- Relevant experience in practice and/or a strong connection with and reputation in the professional field is considered favorably.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably;
- the date of appointment will be 1 February 2019;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.171,55 – € 6.149,03; and for senior lecturer from € 4.776,98 – € 7.504,57;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 15 August 2018.
- Your application should be supplemented with a cover letter, a research plan and an educational vision.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on 20 September 2018.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Lara Schrijver (email@example.com).